Ashleigh Contracts were appointed in March 2018 as specialist marine Subcontractors working for Dragados UK Ltd to continue with and complete the last 440m of North Breakwater construction following Dragados’ commencing of the initial circa 200m of the Breakwater in 2017.
Ashleigh’s works commenced on site in March 2018 and were completed in November 2019 with approx. 440m of the deep-water section of the North Breakwater in water depths ranging from -5m CD to -10mCD successfully completed comprising the following elements:-
- The placement of 340,000T of imported Core Material for the core of the Breakwater including stockpiling and double-handling approx. 200,000T of this material to accelerate and make construction operations significantly more efficient.
- Stockpiling of 145,000T of Rock Armour imported from Norway in 1-3T, 2-5T and 3-6T Gradings.
- Placement of 40,000m3 of 1-3T Rock Armour as underlayer to the seaward slopes and as temporary armour to the inshore slopes of the Breakwater.
- Placement of 8,000m3 of Bedding Material (60-300Kg) as scour protection to the seaward face of the Breakwater with the Inner 50% placed by Long Reach excavators from the shore and the Outer 50% placed from a spudleg Barge.
- Construction of a Toe Mound comprising 3-6T Armour at the base of the slopes – requiring accurate formation of the Inner face using the Prolec PCX system to form the foundation for the Primary Armouring Units
- Placement of 2,100No 8m3 (20T) Accropode Primary Armouring Units along the seaward face of the Breakwater and extending around the Roundhead.
Additional works were undertaken including:-
- Repairs to storm damage suffered by the Breakwater during major storm events of November & December 2018.
- Placement & Removal of temporary protection measures including a Winter Closure in December 2018.
- Miscellaneous Plant Hire